We tested 5 products and found Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio – Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan to be the best Waterproof Walkie Talkie.
We find that good communication is essential while staying safe when kayaking. Being able to exchange information between a kayaking group and tuning into an NOAA weather scan keeps you informed and ensures no one lags while struggling to keep up.
We have used walkie-talkies to alert to potential hazards or barriers, such as low head dams and areas of fast-moving water.
The Midland 50 offers enough waterproofing to enable the walkie-talkies to work in rough waters, and you can set them top hole private conversations. With all you need in the box, this could be all you need from a waterproof 2way radio. (Find the Best Portable Fish Finders For Kayaks)
If you are out with kids or family, check out more to see if these walkie-talkies suit your situation and how they stack up against the competition.
- Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio: The GXT1030VP4 is a great radio to take on a whitewater trip because it can be safely strapped inside a wetsuit and used to converse via VOX or Bluetooth without taking your hands off the paddle.
- Motorola T600 Talkabout Radio: For kayaking or fishing, the T600 is an excellent all-around radio. It’s tough, waterproof, floats, and is simple to operate.
- Uniden MHS75: Waterproof Handheld 2-Way VHF Marine radio: The MHS75 is a great two-way radio for kayakers who spend a lot of time on the water and want to keep an eye on coast guard channels.
- DEWALT DXFRS800 2-Watt Heavy Duty Walkie Talkies: Shock-resistant, dust-proof, and waterproof two-way radio designed for extreme conditions. A lifetime warranty covers the Dewalt DXFRS300.
- Uniden MHS75 Handheld Submersible 2-Way 5W VHF Marine Radio: The MHS75 is a waterproof handheld 2-way VHF marine radio ideal for kayakers who spend a lot of time on the water and want to monitor coast guard channels distress channels.
5 Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies
1. Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio – Best Overall Walkie Talkie
The Midland GXT1000VP4 is a durable and damage-resistant radio with a 36-mile communication range.
With the scan function, the Midland radio can automatically search up to 50 GMRS channels. This walkie-talkie contains 142 privacy codes and secure radio signals, allowing you to govern your discussion besides the extensive selection of channels.
The Midland Walkie-Talkie also includes NOAA and Hazard Weather Channels, which will keep you up to date on the latest weather conditions in your area, just like the best waterproof radios.
Features and Benefits
- The JIS4 water grade resists and protects the radio against light rain or splashing water while not waterproof. However, do not submerge it in water or use it in harsh weather conditions because it is not entirely waterproof.
- The handy SOS Siren that comes with the Midland radio allows you or others to send out distress and locate signals in an emergency.
- The Midland offers various power options, including a rechargeable battery with a long battery life of 11 hours on a full charge and 4 AA alkaline batteries.
- For privacy and hands-free operation, the Midland has VOX capabilities.
- Comes with rechargeable battery packs, headsets, belt clips, and more.
With a guide price just under $70, you get a great deal for families, as all you need is in the box for both walkie-talkies. It is easy to use with the backlit LCD display and dedicated operation buttons and vibration alert. (Find the Best Kayak Fish Finder)
While it isn’t fully waterproof, you can use it hands-free, so it is easy to keep these 50 channel marine radios safe to use as your family radio service.
2. Motorola T600 Talkabout Radio – Best Motorola Walkie Talkie
Motorola offers the T600, an all-around waterproof walkie-talkie. With a waterproof rating of IP67, the Motorola T600 and its waterproof rugged construction won’t break if it falls in the water. The manufacturer says a meter of water won’t compromise the radio, and it will float with the bright color easily spotted.
The T600 offers access to 22 standard channels and supports 121 privacy codes for each channel.
Like other best waterproof walkie-talkies, the Motorola T600 includes the NOAA emergency weather alerts and one regular marine channel communication.
Features and Benefits
- Motorola T600 has the VibraCall, a handy function that silences tones to let you maintain the serenity of your kayaking adventure.
- Using the 3 standard AA alkaline batteries, you get a 23-hour battery life, or 9 hours with the included NiMH battery.
- One surprising emergency feature is the built-in flashlight to highlight your location or find your way in the dark.
- Motorola waterproof models 11 weather channels and seven NOAA channels, weather reports, and more.
With a guide price of just under $100, you are paying more for Motorola waterproof walkie-talkies, yet there are more features you can find for use at sea or large bodies of water.
Each waterproof model is compatible with other radios that use FRS/GMRS. It should be noted that the built-in NOAA weather service might not be available in all areas.
3. Uniden MHS75 Waterproof Handheld 2-Way VHF Marine radio, Submersible, Selectable 1/2.5/5 Watt Transmit Power. All USA/International and Canadian Marine Channels – Best Waterproof Walkie Talkie
The Uniden MHS75 is a small, submersible marine handheld VHF with a lot of great features. The Uniden, housed in a tough die-cast aluminum housing, doesn’t skimp on performance and can withstand any falls or bangs. (Read What Do I Need For Trout Fishing)
The Uniden’s JIS8/IPX8 completely waterproof grade ensures it will not only stand splashing water but will also let you submerge it in water up to five feet for up to half an hour.
Features and Benefits
- The Uniden floats, meaning you can easily catch it if you accidentally drop it into the water.
- The Quad Watch operation allows you to monitor four channels simultaneously. With this are two Coast Guard channels, a weather report channel, and a direct link to another walkie user or one marine channel across the radio waves coming into the handset.
- The Uniden MHS75 is a two-way marine radio that will allow you to follow weather alerts on all the NOAA channels.
- You can keep up to date with weather conditions and determine if inclement weather is on the way.
- The MHS75 comes with an automatic search function, and you have switchable levels for short to long-range communication.
- Adjustable general mobile radio service transmission from 1 Watt to 2.5 Watts or 5 Watts.
With a guide price of $88, it appears great value for money. If you need the backup and can live with fewer communication channels, you will find the biggest drawback is you only get one radio.
Everything else is there and performs well, yet if you need another digital radio, the emergency radio receiver then works out considerably more expensive than other long-range walkie-talkies.
4. DEWALT DXFRS800 2 Watt Heavy Duty Walkie Talkies – Waterproof, Shock Resistant, Long Range & Rechargeable Two-Way Radio with VOX – Best Waterproof Radios for Kayaks
One of the most heavy-duty waterproof walkie talkie you can fin is the DEWALT DXFR800, yet you pay considerably more for the pleasure.
The range they cover is up to 300,000 square feet, and they offer 2662 channel combos with 22 pre-set channels with privacy codes so you can keep others off the same channel.
The IP67 rating walkie-talkies are completely waterproof and dustproof, and a unique feature adding to the waterproof nature of water gear, they are shock-proof. The DXFR800 two-way radios can withstand a drop from 6.5 feet.
Features and Benefits
- The FRS VOX voice-activated transmission allows for hands-free use.
- You can use the 360˚ Swivel Holster to rotate the radio sideways for multiple positions.
- The walkie-talkies work on 22 channels, and for each, you can set a privacy code to reduce interference.
- Each radio in the twin pack weighs 12.5 ounces with no batteries, so it won’t be too heavy when on your kayak.
- Radio dimensions are 7 inches by 2.58 by 2.17, so they fit easily in the anti-slip grip.
With a guide price of a little over $220, you have a set of radios that come with lithium polymer batteries, and the entire kit can last for years.
If you need reliability and something guaranteed to work for usual radio communication, you could overlook the most significant omission of a built-in LED flashlight.
5. Uniden MHS75 Handheld Submersible 2-Way 5W VHF Marine Radio – Best Waterproof Twoway Radios
The Uniden MHS75 is a small marine handheld VHF radio with plenty of incredible features. The Uniden, housed in a tough die-cast aluminum shell, delivers excellent performance and can survive any falls or knocks.
Uniden’s JIS8/IPX8 totally waterproof rating assures that it can withstand splashing water and submersion in water up to five feet for up to 30 minutes.
Features and Benefits
- The Uniden floats, so you can easily catch it if you drop it in the water by accident.
- Quad Watch allows you to monitor an eye on four channels, unlike other floating walkie-talkies.
- Two Coast Guard channels, a weather report channel, and a direct link to another walkie user or one marine channel are all available over the radio waves entering the floating walkie-talkie.
- The Uniden MHS75 is a two-way marine radio that allows you to listen to NOAA weather channels.
- You can keep up to current on weather conditions and find if bad weather is on its way.
- The MHS75 has an automatic search feature and switchable levels for short-range and long-range communication.
- You can adjust transmission power from 1 watt to 2.5 watts or 5 watts for general mobile radio service over various distances.
With a suggested retail price of just below $90, it can be excellent value if you need the best of many walkie-talkies to keep you updated. The major disadvantage is that you only receive one radio.
Everything else works OK; however, the emergency radio receiver is significantly more expensive than comparable long-range walkie-talkies if you require a second digital radio.
Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies Buying guide
When determining which waterproof walkie-talkie to buy, these vital aspects should be considered when you are out in the great outdoors.
Range and Clarity
Range and clarity are crucial features to consider when choosing a waterproof walkie-talkie. The range of a waterproof walkie-talkie should always be stated, with most being approximately 32 miles, but some reaching up to 42 miles. (Find the Best Beginner Fly Fishing Kit)
However, corporations’ estimates on their websites or product packaging commonly use a straight, uninterrupted line. For people using walkie-talkies in cities or mountain ranges, the genuine range is far smaller, and clarity can be an issue.
Most waterproof walkie-talkies come with two charging options. You may usually utilize a charging dock or cable for rechargeable batteries or ordinary AA or AAA batteries. A waterproof walkie-talkie that uses regular batteries might be quite useful if you require a quick charge or use. You’d have to wait for them to charge otherwise.
However, rechargeable batteries eliminate the need to carry spare conventional batteries. The two-power system is fantastic in an emergency since you can use normal batteries instead of a power source.
NOAA Weather Alert
If you’re looking to buy a waterproof walkie-talkie, you’re probably expecting rain. It may withstand extreme conditions, but your safety needs to be aware of the weather and get emergency notifications. NOAA weather alerts can also tell you where to go for safety.
While the design may appear irrelevant when deciding on the color of your walkie-talkie, it is really crucial. An ounce can mean a lot if you are looking for long wilderness treks. Along with weight, the device’s size can influence whether it’s worth packing and carrying.
However, the best waterproof walkie-talkies weigh more than they weigh less. Most walkie-talkies now have two charging options: rechargeable or conventional batteries. If you plan to use the walkie-talkie in difficult terrain, a rugged design with rubber grips or bumpers may be better.
Also, the waterproof feature of the walkie-talkie may turn you off. Some are splash-proof, while others are entirely submersible. If you plan to use the device near water or in heavy rain, get the greatest level of waterproofing available.
If you buy a waterproof walkie-talkie, you probably want reliable communication. While being able to contact friends is crucial, connecting to emergency weather channels is as well.
The NOAA offers 7 channels for weather and disaster notifications.
Some waterproof walkie-talkies even have an emergency call button to access emergency alert channels and deliver current information instantly.
In conclusion, walkie-talkies come with all you need, plus include flashlights, sirens, and beacons for added safety.
What’s The Bottom Line?
When testing, there was one winner. Any radio that came alone was out, and those at the top end of the budget were also eliminated.
The winner is Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio – Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan.
There were many features on more expensive models and beat others that didn’t come with as many accessories.
There are some little gripes, such as full waterproofing, yet for the price to perform for all other features, there wasn’t another waterproof radio that could match features and function. The Midland 50 channel is the best walkie-talkie set you can get for family use.